Your Roofing Inspection Checklist
Roof inspections performed on an as-needed bases, are essential to determining the condition of a roof and whether repairs are needed. They also help prevent more expensive repairs down the line. Your roof is an investment and it needs the proper attention and care to ensure a maximum service life. At Bulldog Roofing, we are your premier source for the roofing inspection and services you need to maintain, repair, or upgrade your roof.
How to inspect a roof is not something every property owner fully understands. The first thing that can be done is to walk around the property and look for noticeable damage, such as lifts or cracks in roofing material.
Below are some checklists for inspecting a roof from the inside to the outside:
Look Inside for Signs of Roof Leaking
- Peeling wallpaper or paint
- Dark spots on the ceiling
- Wet spots on the roof or a wet roof
- Water stains pipes that vent the furnace or water heater.
- Dampness along fireplaces
Look Outside for Signs of Roof Leaking
- Missing or rusted flashing
- Ripped, curled, or missing shingles
- Damage or decayed downspouts, gutters, or splash pans
Problems detected early enough can keep repair costs as low as possible, and prevent other more serious issues from forming.
Additional Roof Inspection Items to Check Off
Consider these additional items to look for during a roof inspection:
- Look for loss of texture on shingles (granule loss). Granule indicates aging shingles or shingles damaged by severe weather that are no longer providing sufficient protection against storms.
- Locate areas of piled up leaves, algae, and moss, which are known for instigating water damage and expensive leaks.
- Clogged up gutters and roof overhangs – be sure to clean these out.
- Inspect for water damage, warping wood, and damaged trusses in the roof attic.
Although you can perform many or all of these inspections on your own, you may not feel comfortable doing so, or you may not have time. In that event, it is helpful to have a professional roofer perform these inspections for you.
Schedule your Free Inspection
Save yourself a click and schedule a free roof inspection right here. We will answer any questions you have about your roof.